Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Green and Growing

It is such a great experience to see my sons growing and learning every day.  Baby 1 is nearly two years old and we have some of the temper tantrums that come along with that, but I so enjoy hearing him try to count (1-2-3-5-6-8-9-2-5-8) and learning new words (Tiger, pronounced Tie-ter, "Raar!") and even social standards ("Oops! Sorry!" Pronounced: Oo! Sye-ee).

Baby 2 will be eight months old this month.  He just started doing a great army crawl and he eats anything (anything!) he can get his hands on.  I feed him a lot of Cheerios.  His brother feeds him crackers, bread, even cat food if I'm not careful.  He gets so excited about food (even his peas) and he's memorized what the Cheerios box looks like (and sounds like).

I sometimes laugh when I hear people say, "That's such a fun age." because it seems like it doesn't matter what age your child is, someone will say that about your child.  "Oh, 3 months!  That's such a fun age!" "Oh, one year old!  That's such a fun age!" "Oh, 5 is such a fun age!" Oh, 13 is... well... you'll get through it." It's just one of those things people say, I suppose... but that's really not the point of this post.

I recently read somewhere (and I'm not sure where or I'd give appropriate credit - if anyone can help out I'll be sure to update with proper credit) that "As long as you're green you're growing.  As soon as you're ripe, you start to rot."

In an effort to be green (and growing) I'm thinking of starting a new "project."  I think I want to become a doula. For those of you who are not familiar with the term, a doula is a non-medical labor assistant for women and their partners who are giving birth.  I had a doula present for both of my babies births and she was wonderful!  I don't think I'd ever give birth without a doula if I had any say in the matter.  My family and friends have been super supportive as I've mentioned my interest in taking this on.  I just love being around pregnant women and new moms.  I'd love to support women during this joyful though sometimes intimidating time in their life.  I will, of course, keep you updated on my progress.  We'll just see how this goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment