Friday, January 20, 2012

Doula-ing

As of a couple of weeks ago I am officially a member of DONA, the organization I hope to become a certified doula through.  It may seem like a small step, but to me it is huge.  I'm so ready to move forward with this!  I'm so ready to be certified and be "doula-ing" for families as a certified doula. 

Yes, I'm already accepting clients, but being certified is kind of the dream for me.  First, I'll be more marketable which means more clients, but I'll also be more comfortable charging more which means more money.  Right now I need experience and people aren't willing to hire an inexperienced, uncertified doula for as much money as they would spend on an experienced certified doula.  It makes perfect sense, and I don't blame them.  I'm just ready to be in the latter category.

I actually now have a client (I think) who is a friend and former coworker. She is about 18 weeks pregnant right now, so we have a while to go before birth day.  I'm really excited about it!  With her permission I may post more about it later. 

The next step is to get my "packet."  It's only a cost of about $35, and I plan to purchase it with some of my Christmas money, but the clock starts ticking once I get it.  I believe I have 2 years at that point to get all of my classes done, get all of my certifying births done and get it turned in... and the real expense is in the classes/workshops.  It looks like there is one in my area in June that would at least cut out the travel expense. 

The biggest adventure in all of it is child care.  I love being a stay-at-home mom, and in some ways it affords me the flexibility to be able to be a doula, but child care is difficult.  Especially as an uncertified doula.  As I mentioned before, I don't get paid much to be a doula at this point (which is fine, really.  I love just being there.  It is amazing and brings tears to my eyes every time I witness a baby being born), and that means that I don't have much money to pay a sitter.  Most of my sitters are friends and family and most of them work days... which leaves me in a bind if I need to be with a client during the day.

I suppose like everything else we will make it work.  Of course, if anyone has suggestions I am very open to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment