Saturday, July 18, 2009

Of Domain Names and the web-experience-challenged

Yesterday I managed to register my domain name.

After hearing suggestions from several people to go with Godaddy.com I went with Godaddy.com. Registering there is cheaper than any other place I have found and all the web geeks I know seem to think it's a good place so I saw no reason not to go with them. My experience was a little more complicated than I expected, but not bad by any means.

The good: Price and the fact that the people who know what they're talking about recommend them. It's easy to look up the domain name you want and go from there.

The bad: If you don't know what you're doing it get's complicated quickly. I'm sure that anyone with a clue would have been registered in under 5 minutes. It took me nearly 30 because they kept asking me questions I didn't know the answer to and I would have to research the question before I could answer it. I wonder if there is a "Domain Name Registration for [insert deragatory term for someone who isn't very smart here]" book somewhere.

Overall: It was the only option for me. The research I did left competitors in the dust! $9.99 a year for a .com is just the best deal out there. If they were to ask me what to do to increase my rating I would have to say that they could make it a bit more foolproof and/or explain things a bit better to those who have no clue what they are doing. :-)

If I had to grade it: 3.0 (B)

I also had some fun "pointing" my domain name at this blog. Although I'm going to change the method a bit. Apparently you can "forward" your domain name to a different website and the website that you forward to will still show up as the address that you are going to. (IE - type in www.clothdiaperadventurer.com and the address bar will change to http://clothdiaperadventurer.blogspot.com when you get to my blog). What I think I want to do is called "masking" in which the actual site's address is covered up by the web address that is forwarded to it. (IE - type in www.clothdiaperadventurer.com and you end up at my blog while still seeing www.clothdiaperadventurer.com in the address bar).

Maybe I ought to write the Domain Names for [insert deragatory term for someone who isn't very smart] book myself as I learn! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Nice ..But i found the Domain name regsitration offer cost in the site tucktail.comThe offer is
    Products must be new to the customer (not currently owned) to qualify. One 1 yr $1.99* .com, .us, .mobi**, .biz, .net, or .org domain per each qualifying product; new, transfer or renewal..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I checked out tucktail.com and the truth is that it wouldn't have met my needs at the moment. According to the promo "rules" on tucktail.com $1.99 is only offered with your purchase of a non-domain product and then only for the first year. Price after the first year? $9.99. Still, I won't say it isn't worth checking out for someone who is interested in starting a business and/or registering a domain name, it just looks like it wouldn't have worked for me at this point in time. Thanks for the comment and the info! I'll spread the word about tucktail.com as it may work for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I would have known you were looking for a web site host. I use oneandone.com and all of there domain names are $6.99 for the first year and $8.99 after that and it is very easy to use. I am actually hosting 13 domain names there right now and have not had a single problem with them. I hope godaddy will work out for you tho.

    ReplyDelete